What is an emergency situation?
This may vary with each animal or the experience of the owner, but we think of an emergency as a life threatening situation. The following are examples of conditions which may qualify:
- Lacerations with lots of blood loss or other trauma
- Eating, or a history of eating poison
- Actions of the animal that are strange or very abnormal, seizures
- Difficulty in breathing
- Straining to urinate, painful urination, or blood in the urine
- Frequent or uncontrollable vomiting
- Loss of consciousness
What to do in case of an emergency.
Call the regular daytime clinic number. You will be instructed to leave a message on our voice mail system. After leaving a message, STAY OFF THE PHONE because the on-call veterinarian will be trying to call you back. If you haven’t received a call back within fifteen minutes, call again and leave a second message.